Friday, August 29, 2014

Strong Posing with Bugsy


So in my last animation update I mentioned the importance of keeping a character balanced. This holds very true when you are trying to convey a certain emotion. That's not to say you can't break the rules, but you have to know them first. But realistic weighting is only one aspect of a character and this project. Another is silhouette and negative space. You're well on your way to a successful pose once you've developed a nice readable silhouette.


So what this project was exactly and what the requirements were was to make seven clean readable poses using this character named Bugsy (we'll be seeing more of him soon!)

Try to guess the emotions I was going for, the last one's a freebie since it's not really an emotion, it's a balanced on one leg pose.

The Bugsy rig wasn't to hard to work with, which was nice because it gave me time to focus on the requirements of negative space from the fingers to the antennas and even develop a strong line of action (which I'm sure will come up again in the future.)


The unsung hero of this rig was the jaw in my opinion, though I didn't use it in every pose, it really helped in some poses to nail in that last layer of character. The cylinder prop was also really helpful to back up some of the poses and assist in their line of action.

Overall this project really got me thinking of all sorts of animation and staging concepts that at first glance may not seem to have a huge impact. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment