Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Animating with a team part 2 (my second shot & putting it all together)

Check out part 1 if you missed it because I may be referencing points from that post.

So my second shot was shot 10, which had our character Bugsy interacting with Miss Bugsy before he is about to untie her. The focus here is on Miss Bugsy because she is the character most visable in the shot, and the one who's whole face is visible. Before getting into these later shots, as a group we had to develop Miss Bugsy's personality just like we did for Bugsy. We decided to go for a damsel who is in love head over heals and can look past Bugsy's faults like his overconfidence or clumsiness.


Shot 10 went through a lot of changes at the beginning because I had a certain idea of how Bugsy would move his hand. I was going for a sensual finger drag across the top of the head, but after receiving a critique from the teacher, he suggested trying under the chin instead. At first this idea felt weird to me, but the more time I spent with it, acting it out, adjusting poses, and getting more feedback, it started looking a lot better.

(hand above the head)

(hand below the chin)

I guess I'll take this time to mention why I made the acting choices I did when it comes to the touching of Miss Bugsy's face. When animating a character, you have to get in their head and feel what they feel. In this case Bugsy is rescuing a trapped friend, he's glad to see her and wants to show her this. A simple touch can build such a large connection. Imagine if Bugsy had just done a standard walk across the scene, he would almost seem out of place without doing anything. Same goes for Miss Bugsy, this is a character that is in love, and as the milestones progress I made an effort to put as much life and love into Miss Bugsy. This applies to everything, the way she slowly leans back, the way she blinks her eyes, the way her smile slightly grows as time goes on around Bugsy. Animation is acting, and you have to feel these emotions, and thats one of my favorite parts about the discipline.


I tried a little someting special for the next critique. I added in some motion in the antennas of Miss Bugsy to make them take the form of a heart (Think 2d characters like Bugs Bunny who can bend and manipulate their ears to take many shapes). This proved to be a unique challenge because I was somewhat limited by the rig, but it wasn't to big of a deal, the heart just came out smaller than I thought it would. Another thing that was important to keep in mind here was the silhouette of the antennas, they had to look right in the camera view, this was more important than actually being perfectly positioned on the head. I put a lot of thought into this little antic so I'm glad it went over well during critiques.


Now in the final wrapping up stages of the animation, the things I focused on most was enhancing the principals of animation like the secondary action and follow through. This mostly applies to things like the hair, ear rings, and antennas on Miss Bugsy. But even Busy has some in his hands, since they flow offset to the arms. I also adjusted Miss Bugsy's eyes a bit more to not always have them 100% wide open. The more wide the eyes are, the blanker the stare looks in most cases. I also looked into adding some subtle eye darts because that's how eyes work in the real world. This was my first time trying this so I do need more practice on this front.


After everyone finished their shots, it was time to put them all together and get some sound in there to further enhance the animation. Everyone was responsible for putting adding sound to their particular shots and we agreed on a song that can play throughout the whole thing. I put all the shots together that everyone finished in After Effects. This didn't take too long, and we set some time aside on the final day to make sure we would finish.

I'm really happy with the final result, and I had a good time collaborating with my group. Here is the final product one more time, now that you know the process that went into it (or at least my portion of it), you can have a new point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment